Have you lost your luggage?
Airlines are responsible for checked in luggage. The vast majority of bags are returned and airlines typically have a thorough process for tracking and retrieving misplaced luggage. If your bags do not arrive as they should, there are some steps that you should take.
Once you realize that your baggage is not on the carousel:
- First make sure that it was not taken off and stacked in the aisle between the carousels.
- If you have any oversized, extra heavy or irregularly shaped baggage they are usually delivered at carousel #6, which is located along the western side of the hall.
- Locate your airline’s baggage agent who will be in the baggage hall. Ascertain if the flight has been completely unloaded. If your baggage has not arrived you will need to complete a Lost Bag Report with the airline’s agent in the baggage hall.
- Acquaint yourself with the airline’s policies on lost baggage.
- If your bag is on the next flight you should be in receipt of it within the next day. When it does arrive, the airline can make arrangements to have it delivered to you.
What to do if your bag arrived damaged:
- Report this to your airline baggage agent in the baggage hall at the airport.
Check the Lost and Found:
If any of your items is missing, or if you find items belonging to someone else, immediately report this to the GAIA Inc. Duty Manager at telephone number 536-1336.
Follow these tips to ensure your bags are easily identified and to save potential inconveniences:
- Travel as light as possible. Remember many airlines have decreased the weight/size of the hand luggage you can take on board – just be mindful of the rules relating to what can actually be taken as hand luggage.
- Put your name clearly on the outside and inside of your bags. Remove extraneous tags and labels.
- Pack valuables in your carry-on bags.
- Be wise at check-in – make sure your bag is tagged with the correct destination label and ensure you keep your barcode sticker that normally gets tagged to your boarding pass. This is a unique number and matches you to your bag.
- Remember travel insurance.